- Broken Run Button - appears broken when the VI you are creating or editing contains errors
- Highlight Execution - displays an animation of the block diagram execution when you run the VI
- Retain Wire Values - save the wire values at each point in the flow of execution so that when you place a probe on the wire you can immediately retain the most recent value of the data that passed through the wire
- Step Into - opens a node and pauses
- Step Over - executes a node and pauses at the next node
- Step Out - finishes executing the current node and pauses
Tips and tricks
- Use conditional probes to break code execution when a specified condition is met.
- To edit a VI that is set to run when opened, open the VI from the block diagram of another VI.
- Select Edit > Remove Breakpoints from Hierarchy to quickly remove all breakpoints in the hierarchy.
- A call list will appear in the toolbar on the block diagram of a subVI while it is paused or suspended. This list contains all the callers the VI. Choose an entry to highlight the subVI in the caller.
Basics of Debugging LabVIEW - by Quentin Alldredge, Q Software Innovations, LLC
- "Debugging Tools in LabVIEW" by National Instruments (http://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/debug)